I was initially invited to Adam Foster Collins' class (NSCAD University) to lend my experience and knowledge (consult) as a web developer for their web site assignment: build projectperu.ca.
After a couple visits, I grew a passion for the project and it's objectives. By the end of the semester, Adam invited me to be apart of the project's team and help with fundraising over the summer.
Here is a list of my contributions:
• Helped with the projectperu.ca Flash development with Michal Piotrowski (he did all of the design and most of the core development - I helped with ActionScripting)
• Assisted with fundraising activities (posting flyers, painting a house, acquired weekly meeting space)
• Video recorded (rough approximate) 30 hours of footage while in Peru
• Developed the first version of threadsofperu.com (Adam Collins and Angie Hodder providing the design assets)
• Assisted in the research, set up, and creation of the first version of the Threads of Peru eBay store
The project is best summarized on the homepage of http://www.projectperu.ca:
Through Professor Collins' teachings, working in the classroom, the work during the trip to Peru, & the on-going development of our e-commerce site & presentations, I have gained invaluable experience in the following areas:
• Collaboration (professional fund raisers, accountants, & tourism)
• Fund Raising (over $20,000 in just 5 months!)
• Team building
• Cutting edge international development design
• Marketing (print & social media)
• Working with 3rd world, foreign language communities (in Peru)