Spicy Beef Noodle Soup 4.0: Kicking it up another notch from my last niu rou mian recipe. So far I think 4th time’s the charm!
Meat & Veggies:
- 2.5 lbs Beef Shank
- 5 Garlic Cloves, peeled & smashed
- 1 Onion, cut into wedges
- 2 large Ginger slices
- 2 Tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 4 stalks of Green Onion (1 for garnish)
- Bok choy or Spinach, blanched
- A few sprigs of Cilantro for garnish
- 8 Dried Whole Japones Chile Peppers
- 5 pieces of Star Anise
- 3 tablespoons of Whole Sichuan Peppercorns
- 1 – 2 pieces of Dried Tangerine Peels
- 1 tablespoon Rock Sugar
- 2.5 teaspoons Salt
- 3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce
- 3 tablespoons Shao Xing Rice Wine
- 6 tablespoons Hot Chili Bean Paste
- 1 tablespoon Canola Oil
- 6 tablespoons Chinese Chili Oil
Noodles & Etc:
- 1 bag of Chinese Wheat Noodles
- 8 cups of Water
- Cheesecloth or Sieve
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add enough to cover the meat, but OMIT adding salt.
- While waiting for the water to boil, prepare the spice mixture in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the sauce mixture.
- Rinse the meat under cold water. When the water is boiling, flash boil the meat. Drain and set aside.
- Cut into wedges, tomatoes and onions. Then slice ginger into 3 large pieces.
- Smash and peel the garlic. Cut the green onions into thirds.
- Heat oil in a large pot and add the garlic and ginger. Pour the sauce mixture into the pot and stir. Then add the bowl of spices.
- After a few fragrant seconds, add the onions and tomatoes.
- Pour 8 cups of water into the pot. Add the green onions (save one stalk for garnish) and the meat.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for at least 3.5 hours, and 4 - 6 hours for more tender meat.
Half an Hour Before Feasting Time:
- Taste your broth. If you want more tingly and numbing sensation, add Sichuan peppercorns. Extra spiciness, increase chili oil. Too salty? Add a little broth or water. Not salty enough? Add more soy sauce.
- Blanche the bok choy in another pot. Drain and set aside. Cook the noodles in another pot (portions similar to spaghetti). Prepare garnish: mince green onions and pick cilantro leaves.
- Finally, prepare to eat! Pour soup through a sieve and set aside. Then pull or slice meat for each serving.
- Get soup bowls out, add noodles, bok choy, beef, and soup. Garnish with cilantro and green onions.