Account Executive at Ketchum Public Relations
Writing and Editing | Greater New York City Area, US
Motivated and published full-time and freelance writer with substantial national magazine, regional newspaper, online media and corporate experience. I'm comfortable writing an editorial about the hottest NYC club to a cover story detailing the progress of an all female roller derby team. My portfolio is as broad as my editorial experience which includes marketing, technology and social media communications. Focus on public relations and/or online media with interest in project and event management.
Specialties: Writing/editing areas include: Lifestyle, beauty, entertainment, food, woman's interests, consumer products, and custom publishing.
Technology & content proficiency on both Mac & PC Windows OS systems includes: content management systems, HTML/CSS code, Macromedia Dreamweaver, QuarkXPress, InDesign, Wordpress, Twitter, Facebook, Blogging, Social Networking, Photoshop, Filemaker Pro, Excel, Word
Skilled at: Production design, development and layout; online and database research and maintenance
2011 - Present
Account Executive, Healthcare / Ketchum Public Relations
Project Manager / Kelton Research
Manage multiple projects and diverse workload for custom and omnibus consumer insight surveys for Kelton Media Unit. First point of contact for public relations clients, questionnaire development, analyze data, write final analysis, edit/proof surveys and press releases, conduct background research, cultivate vendor relationships, manage budgets. Asked to work with qualitative department on high priority project.
• Contributed to Nutrisystem survey that garnered notable media attention: USA Today, CNN, ABC World News Now,
• Men’s Wearhouse survey became focal point for new ad campaign, commercials and brand redesign
Assistant Editor / Organic Beauty magazine
Research sustainable organic ingredients, trends, lifestyle, fashion, makeup, nutrition, fitness, and travel information for each issue. Regularly contribute two to three stories and features. Work closely with Editor-In-Chief on editing, story development, and publicity. Manage sizable beauty calendar featuring product bargains to create and maintain public relations contacts and advertisers.
• Increased readership among beauty bloggers, in-house professionals and well-known industry contacts
• Succeeded in featuring debut issue on Fig+Sage blog and Feel Good Style blog
• Wrote and developed two feature stories for premier issue
• Familiarized and introduced Editor-In-Chief to popular beauty and organic blogs and bloggers
Contributing Writer / Social Diva New York
Write and pitch local pieces of content on a weekly basis covering New York City nightlife. Working with Editor-In-Chief meeting deadlines and matching Social Diva voice. Attending industry events and networking with like-minded sites.
Reporter / Ithaca Times
Wrote eight to ten stories per week, two cover stories per month, and two special sections features per week. Researched, interviewed, designed, and photo directed all covers and features. Met with managing editor each week to pitch story ideas. Created positive relationships with senior city officials, local business owners, and members of Cornell University and Ithaca College that was not previously present.
• Scooped competing paper with cover story on hotel developer Jeffrey Rimland
• Only reporter to write cover story on Ithaca’s all-female roller derby team, Ithaca SufferJets
• Acknowledged by singer/songwriter Eilen Jewell at her concert for cover story on her new album
• Increased readership among city officials, business owners, and college students
Project Manager / Marc Rubin Associates
Specialized in marketing and branding graphic design for reports, brochures, magazines, websites, etc. Managed numerous clients and vendors while directing designer and printers. Proofed, edited, researched, and wrote project deliverables and content. Managed budget and billing for each project. Wrote letters of recommendation for past employees and clients. Organized day-to-day business workflow and designer’s calendar and travel schedule.
• Secured several new profitable projects including a public library district and independent artist
• Developed and contributed key research for presentation for major company client
Marketing Coordinator / Rodale Inc. - Prevention Special Interest Publications
Maintained Prevention Guides website – preventionguides.com – via content management system. Designed layout, wrote and edited copy, and organized all media kit sell sheets as well as researched advertisers and competitors for reports. Handled department budget, expenses and maintained National Advertising Manager’s calendar and travel.
• Created brand presentation for company’s yearly sales meeting as requested by Publisher
• Increased online orders of archived and current issues
• Saved money on premiums and other promotional items for conventions and advertiser events
• Key liaison between National Advertising Manager and two sales reps’
Editorial Coordinator / Weight Watchers Magazine
Developed, wrote, and edited beauty page by pitching to Beauty Editor and Executive Editor. Compiled products and product images for additional beauty and food pages. Worked closely with four to five editors to fact-check, research, proofread, and edit pages before going to press. Managed two Senior Editors’ pages for editorial revisions, design, and corporate approval of pages. Worked directly with Publisher to feature advertisers in specific beauty and fashion spreads. Maintained substantial editorial and advertising calendars and organized go-sees. Worked extensively with the art department for design and images. Maintained Publisher and Executive Editor’s calendars and travel schedules.
• Cultivated extensive network of key public relations beauty boutique and in-house contacts
• Developed special articles and projects for Editor-In-Chief, specifically the Super Foods cookbook
• Managed communication between Stylist and Beauty Editor for popular jeans cover story
• Contributed multiple quizzes for special holiday cover story
• Redesigned table of contents for 2007 issue redesign launch
• Created and maintained recipe and Success Stories database via Filemaker Pro
Entertainment Writer / DVDTalk.com
Reviewed DVDs, interviewed entertainment industry, and wrote online articles in time with DVD releases.
• Interviewed Jennifer Lee Pryor at a time when she was giving few interviews
• Q&A with Judy Greer from 13 Going On 30 featured on Jennifer Garner’s fan page
Freelance Writer / Ithaca Times
Contributed assigned arts and entertainment features stories. Attended local concerts, shows, events, and conferences. Conducted interviews, research, and provided a young college voice to an alternative paper.
Columnist & Events Coordinator & Editorial Intern / Star-Gazette, First Gannett Newspaper
Developed monthly college-life column. Worked extensively with editors. Organized calendar items chronologically in a 6-page entertainment section. Collaborated with department and public for events.
Increased 18-35 year old readership
• Increased 18-35 year old readership
Excellence Award, New York Press Association, Sports Feature for cover story "Get Railed!" about Ithaca's all-female roller derby team.
editing and research, beauty industry, organic products, "green" living, corporate communications, client relations, strategic planning, blogging, social media, event planning, city planning and development, digital photography and design, luxury beauty and lifestyle products, music, Pilates, gourmet ice cream, wine, reading novels, New York sports, children's literature