Accepting Submissions through April 19th, 2013
LAS VEGAS, NV – Cockroach Theatre announces the Second Annual Sin City New Play Contest, supporting the bold new voices of playwrights from across the country. Contest submissions will be accepted now through April 19th, 2013, by email submission only to firstname.lastname@example.org. Six finalists will receive public readings in May of 2013, and the winner will be chosen by the Cockroach Theatre company, including Artistic Director Erik Amblad and Resident Playwrights Erica Griffin and Ernie Curcio—with input from those attending the public readings. The winning play will have a full production with Cockroach Theatre during the Summer of 2013. In addition, the contest winner will receive a $250 cash prize as well as publication by Original Works Publishing (www.originalworksonline.com).
In its first year, the Sin City New Play Contest drew submissions from nearly 400 playwrights from across the nation. The contest’s first winner—Nurture by Johnna Adams—was named Best Play of 2012 by Las Vegas Weekly. Cockroach Theatre was proud to present Nurture directed by Jason Aaron Goldberg (also President of Original Works Publishing) as the inaugural production in Art Square Theatre, Cockroach Theatre’s brand new performance space in the heart of downtown Las Vegas. This month, Original Works Publishing will release Nurture by Johnna Adams as the latest addition to their vast catalog of plays by contemporary authors. Original Works Publishing’s support of the Sin City New Play Contest is part of their broader mission “to publish, produce, foster, and support bold, original, and adventurous playwrights from around the globe.”
The specific criteria for the Sin City New Play contest are as follows:
- Contemporary American full-length plays only.
- Maximum of 6 characters.
- No adaptations, translations, musicals, or works for younger audiences.
- Thesis plays and plays that have had a workshop production or readings are acceptable. Plays that have already received a World Premiere are not acceptable.
- Submissions via email only to email@example.com (through April 19, 2013)
- Six finalists receive public readings. Winner is chosen by Cockroach Theatre company, with input from those who attend the readings.
- Winner receives a full production in Summer 2013 by Cockroach Theatre, $250 cash prize, and publication by Original Works Publishing.
Cockroach Theatre has been producing theatre in Las Vegas since 2002, and their work has been seen on international stages, including at Burning Man, the Minnesota Fringe Festival, and the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. Audiences may currently see their production of You May Go Now by Bekah Brunstetter as part of Cockroach Theatre’s inaugural 2012-2013 Season of Plays at Art Square Theatre. The season will culminate in April and May with Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller.
Email submissions only: firstname.lastname@example.org